Sunday, April 15, 2007

Last Days of Military Life & Off to Seminole Heights

Here I am in my home in Valdosta, Georgia (thats near the Florida border). Today I am packing up my military gear and turning it in to my unit on Monday. I pull off my helmet cover etched with; Invasion 03, Baghdad 04, Kirkuk 05, Baghdad 06. A flurry of memories from the past 4 years of war rushes through my mind. With each tour worse than the former.... but its time to move on.


My wife (Stefanie), Slippers (he's a dog, but don't tell him that) and I have found a new home in Tampa, Florida. In a cozy corner called Seminole Heights. After recieving a job offer in Tampa we began our research. And the more we learned about Seminole Heights, the more we realized this will be our new home. And this week we found that home on Branch Ave in OSH (Old Seminole Heights).


So here we go, looking for a church, a new favorite resturant (Taco Bus maybe?) and a place with good techno music. Stefanie is graduating nursing school soon but is probably moving to Honduas to speed up the process of bringing two Hondurian orphans home. A process that has taken nearly 3 years so far. International adoption doesn't happen in Honduras. But we love these children and we made a promise to these girls.

Here's to a new future, new friends, and new memories. Seminole Heights here we come.

Tommy
PS

Oh, and something goes wrong with the closing on this house, we have a list of seven others to choose from in SH.




5 comments:

David Scott Banghart said...

Welcome soon to Seminole Heights.

Molly said...

Tommy -
Is the song attached to the video you? Very moving. Welcome to the neighborhood. You'll love it here, and good luck bringing your family home - they are adorable!

Tommy McNeeley said...

Thanks for the welcome. You discovered me quick, I only started the blog last night.

The song is performed by Johnny Cash. I just did the visuals from footage and photos I compiled in Baghdad.

We are very excited about the move. The only thing that isn't exciting is the process of moving. :)

Anonymous said...

Welcome,

You have found a wonderful neighborhood that is willing to pull together to make a positive difference. We have a very strong sense of community here in Seminole Heights - you guys sound like you will be a great fit!

See you at the general meeting.

Geoffrey Armone said...

Glad to have new neighbors. I'm doing an article about new neighbors for our newsletter. If you get a chance please send me an email at jeffharmon@yahoo.com.

Welcome to the Hood.

Jeff Harmon

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket